Re: Re(2): Ideal - Ilyenkov

From: Judy Diamondstone (diamonju@rci.rutgers.edu)
Date: Sun Sep 03 2000 - 22:28:17 PDT

There's so much to say/ask...

First, I appreciate the distinction between the ideal and consciousness,
the latter entailed by the former. There is a problem here, however, in
that a history of capitalism/alienation [perhaps not just that?] has
resulted in multiple materially based social worlds -- this is where
things get confusing, I think, at least for me. The practices that we
engage in and their artifacts are both objective and ideal, and some such
worlds have their basis in [and this is in response to Paul] consciousness
-- that is, [alter] subjectivities get realized in artifacts & practices
and even institutionalized through collective labor. It's not a one-way deal.

Personally I think it's important to orient to an object, but to assume
that the material social world can be discussed as if it transcended
consciousness is something I don't accept.

Judy