Re: Re(2): Ideal - Ilyenkov

From: Paul H.Dillon (illonph@pacbell.net)
Date: Sun Sep 03 2000 - 13:58:58 PDT

Dianne,

The answer to you question concerning animals is NO they do not because, and
precisely for the simple reason, that humans do not HAVE consciousness in
the way you are apparently assuming. It might be useful to distinguish
"consciousness" from "sentience". Consciousness is social, not individual.
Individual humans internalize this social consciousness, as part of becoming
human; ie., as part of becoming conscious. The confusion involves two
issues that Ilyenkov clearly distinguishes: the relationship between
individual human mental activity and consciousness and the relationship
between consciousness and the world, is precisely the confusion that
Ilyenkov strives so hard to clarify. Consciousness is perception of ideal
phenomena which are created in the material world through social, collective
human activity . This is another way of saying that all consciousness is
mediated.

Paul H. Dillon