Re: a terminological query

From: Alfred Lang (alfred.lang@psy.unibe.ch)
Date: Fri Sep 01 2000 - 03:12:30 PDT

>Alfred,
>
>You used the term "involved" repeatedly in one of your posts and I'm
>wondering what the corresponding German word is and whether you
>would use the term "engagee" in a French translation?
>
>Paul H. Dillon

Paul,
we use both words in German as foreign words, "involviert" in a Latin
line and "engagiert" rather in French orientation which is expressed
by pronouncing. The latter usually implies an active decision as in
employment or re marriage, while the former is broader. When I engage
somebody in some affair, he will necessarily be involved. I can
become involved in anything, willing or not, even without a person
playing a role. In order to e-volve some person or some things needs
to be in-volved; that's the word play that makes me like the word. To
engage or to be engaged is a more special case, whether it's in the
sense of commitment or of employment. But I don't know for sure
whether these nuances are also common in English.
Alfred

Alfred Lang, Psychology, Univ. Bern, Switzerland --- alfred.lang@psy.unibe.ch
Website: http://www.psy.unibe.ch/ukp/langpapers/