Re: Semiotic Ecology and Affinities

From: vadebonc@montana.edu
Date: Fri Aug 25 2000 - 07:52:33 PDT

Hi Bill and all Folks -

I am reminded of Gibson's, Ecological Approach to Visual Perception from
your last posting. I have a question about compatibility.

Gibson notes that there are aspects of the environment that are
"invariant." In fact this invariance is part of his definition of
"affordances." These aspects of the environment are directly "picked up by
perceivers" without "the mediation of memory, inference, deliberation, or
any other mental processes that involve internal representations" (Zhang,
1997). The information in the environment is sufficient for perception and
action.

Okay, for me this sounds like the environment "exists as is" and the
perceiver absorbs information objectively - without mediation. Would
Vygotsky agree? My understanding was that all perception is "seen through"
cultural tools, like language, internalized relations, etc.

Using Eugene's invitation, What do you think? Thanks. :)

Jennifer

Jennifer A. Vadeboncoeur, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, Curriculum and Instruction
Montana State University
120 Reid Hall, Department of Education
Bozeman, MT 59717
Office: (406) 994-6457