Re: Whoa.

From: Bill Barowy (wbarowy@lesley.edu)
Date: Thu Aug 24 2000 - 19:52:02 PDT

I feel it is far more serious, Diane.

I am prone to looking at things squarely and calling them for what they are. I hope that I am wrong in thinking that I am witnessing one more crime of intolerance, a growing hatred for those who are different, and growing hatred for those who stand for that diversity. I will not able to participate in what may come in the next three days, as a result of this posting, because of travel. It is necessary, however, for me to express now that I believe the inciting posting is just yet more evidence of hostile, antagonistic, slanderous, and coercive communications, both publically and privately, and indicative of deeply seated beliefs and feelings that threaten to shut down the diverse and creative joint work of xmca.

I have personal been exposed to greater outrage on a backchannel, when I protested Paul's practices in the past. We have seen several xmca'ers , our best and our brightest, badgered and literally beaten up and bullied, publically, though slyly, and IT IS WRONG. These practices are not of those things that can be glossed over and forgotten.

Apologies do not cut it. Kindness and politeness fail here. My protest is now public record.

Somberly,

Bill Barowy, Associate Professor
Lesley University (Effective September 5, 2000)
29 Everett Street, Cambridge, MA 02138-2790
Phone: 617-349-8168 / Fax: 617-349-8169
http://www.lesley.edu/faculty/wbarowy/Barowy.html
"One of life's quiet excitements is to stand somewhat apart from yourself
 and watch yourself softly become the author of something beautiful."
[Norman Maclean in "A river runs through it."]