Re: Re(2): faux paws >>> affine, affinity

From: Alfred Lang (alfred.lang@psy.unibe.ch)
Date: Wed Aug 23 2000 - 11:06:13 PDT

In the second last paragraph of my message responding to Paul's
attentive readers will have thougth away the "not" in the case of
flowers eaten and so proven their remarkably better affinity to
semiotic ecology as compared to my spelling checker plug-in:

Good / bad and positive / negative are certainly not qualities of
structures themselves but may be used to characterize the outcome of
their interactions from a certain point of view. To be eaten by a
predator may be negative for the eaten and more so to her dependents,
not really bad if being sick and [[[[not]]]] quite positive if being
a flower the seeds of which can thrive if carried to a good place,
perhaps even packed in an enriched environment. Something to eat
appears usually positive for the eater, except when already satiated.
And what is positive for one may be negative for another.

Yours 8-) Alfred

Alfred Lang, Psychology, Univ. Bern, Switzerland --- alfred.lang@psy.unibe.ch
Website: http://www.psy.unibe.ch/ukp/langpapers/