Re: multidimensional

From: Paul H.Dillon (illonph@pacbell.net)
Date: Tue Aug 22 2000 - 21:30:53 PDT

mike,

I totally agree with you about the difficulty of doing a long text --
discussions as they occur with smaller ones seem to diverge pretty quickly
from the text and this would not be totally advantageous if an understanding
of the author's intention in Ch.1 is necessary for grasping the import of
Ch.2 which is most manifestly the case with "ACP", -- I myself generally
read the chapters several times but . . . perhaps I have some advantage
since I know quite well what V. 18 and V. 38 of Collected Works of VIL refer
to (having read them) as well as the works VIL refers to in V. 18 and V. 38
which Leont'ev quotes frequently. But then a lot of the other references in
later chapters not so much and I admit a very limited knowledge of Pavlov.
But I really did appreciate Leont'ev's critique of Leslie White's
culturology. Hell, in 1976 while an undergrad at UCSB Leslie White told me
quite seriously that only material energy could be considered when
evaluating the stage of cultural evolution and that division of labor should
not be included!!

Thanks for getting back with your reasons which are well founded. I
seriously hope that a plan can be formulated and a group of discussants
committed to completing the work can be assembled.

Paul H. Dillon