theory minded addendum

From: Bill Barowy (wbarowy@lesley.edu)
Date: Tue Aug 15 2000 - 19:27:58 PDT

There was one other thing to add to the response to Kathy that dinner and mental weakness interrupted. Relating to the theoretically inclined individual as the bound for a study, from a paragraph in Luria (p80) are two phrases I keep coming back to in my own work:

... We dubbed these later observations "anti-Cartesian experiments" because we found critical self-awareness to be the final product of socially determined psychological development, rather than its primary starting point... Morover, we were able to establish that basic changes in the organization of thinking can occur in a relatively short time when there are sufficiently sharp changes in social-historical circumstances...

My curiousity has been burning with these assertions of adult development -- and I wish to implore those on this list who are well versed -- how can these statements be qualified by later studies??? Who can I read to learn more?

Bill Barowy, Associate Professor
Lesley College
29 Everett Street, Cambridge, MA 02138-2790
Phone: 617-349-8168 / Fax: 617-349-8169
http://www.lesley.edu/faculty/wbarowy/Barowy.html
"One of life's quiet excitements is to stand somewhat apart from yourself
 and watch yourself softly become the author of something beautiful."
[Norman Maclean in "A river runs through it."]