Re: [Fwd: Interesting piece]

From: Paul H.Dillon (illonph@pacbell.net)
Date: Mon Aug 14 2000 - 09:40:05 PDT

David,

When I was an anthro student studying social network theory there was a lot
of interest in gossip and social networks, brokers and information in
maintenance of power structures, eg specific configurations of social
networks. As you point out this doesn't distinguish left or right. And
your point about statistics is well taken -- numbers connote immediacy and
also the idea that someone counted when in fact all they (I) did was pass
something equivalent to gossip. This moves quickly to why we take anyone's
statements as worthy of believing when they deal with matters of fact.

Paul H. Dillon