the followup hegel quote

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Sat Aug 12 2000 - 15:08:51 PDT

The dancer/dance/development discussion included the following note
from Paul containing a quote from hegel which indicates his notion
of sequence from egg to chicken (I think it does at least!)

It might help others struggling with these issues.
mike

---

"Thus, for example, as we remarked before, the germ of a plant contains its particular, such as root, branches, leaves, etc., but these details are at first present only potentially, and are not realized to the germ uncloses. This unclosing is, as it were, the jedgement of the plant. The illustration may also serve to show how neither the notion nor the judgement are found in our head, or merely framed by us. The notion is the very heart of things, and makes them what they are. To form a notion of an objkect means therefore to become aware of its notion; and when we proceed to a criticism or judgement of the object, we are not performing a subjective act, and merely ascribing this or that predicate to the object. We are, on the contrary, observing the object in the specific character imposed by its notion."