RE: Re(2): transactions

From: Eugene Matusov (ematusov@udel.edu)
Date: Fri Aug 04 2000 - 08:43:05 PDT

Hi everybody--

Sorry, Diane, for a confusing message and thanks, Judy, for your helpful
clarification. Organismic relations are NOT necessarily transactional,
according to Altman & Rogoff (A&R). My example of liver and kidney was an
example of objects related via an orgnismic ecological system. It was NOT a
transactional relation. A&R original discussion was about individual and
environment as an example of transactional relation -- individual and
environment mutually constitute and define each other and do not exist
without each other. I'd recommend to read interesting debate between Jan
Valsiner and Barbara Rogoff occurred on pages of Human Development a few
years ago about the notion of internalization where Jan was discussing "the
link" between individual and environment (i.e., interactional approach,
according to A&R, legacy of Vygotsky's problem of how "social" becomes
"psychological") and Barbara rejecting the notion of "the link" all together
based on A&R transactional approach (and thus rejecting Vygotsky's problem).

Valsiner, J. (1991). Building theoretical bridges over a lagoon of everyday
events: A review of Apprenticeship in thinking: Cognitive development in
social context by Barbara Rogoff. Human Development, 34, 307-315.
Rogoff, B. (1992). Three ways to relate person and culture: Thoughts
sparked by Valsiner's review of Apprenticeship in thinking. Human
Development, 35, 316-320.

Mike is right that Altman & Rogoff's article heavily relies on Dewey and
Bentley but also on Pepper (specifically Pepper, S. C. (1967). Concept and
quality: A world hypothesis. La Salle, IL: Open Court) as they ally
transactionalism and contextualism.

I agree with Paul that there is a strong connection (at least in my view)
between A&R's notion of transaction and Hegel's dialectics as they both use
wordings "mutually constitute each other). I also agree that mutuality in
transactionalism is much stronger than in interactionalism. As to Judy's
concern about one-way/one-time relation in the word "transaction," it may be
that A&R use the term in a non-conventional way so in their definition there
is no such connotation (but even the reverse one).

Alfred, I wonder how much A&R's notion of transaction similar/different form
Oerter's Transactionalism? What do you think?

In a few days, I'll scan A&R article and put it one the CH sig website.

Take care,

Eugene