RE: worms

From: Bruce Robinson (bruce.rob@btinternet.com)
Date: Sun Jun 25 2000 - 05:42:23 PDT

On Sunday, June 25, 2000 5:29 AM, Elizabeth A Wardle
[SMTP:ewardle@iastate.edu] wrote:
> Martin and others,
>
> I believe it is possible to catch a virus by just opening an email.
> Microsoft allows for this through the use of ActiveX. It is very deadly.
> The virus we are discussing now apparently only affects Outlook users. If
> we all used Linux we wouldn't have this problem. :) Yet.
>
> Elizabeth

I think it only affects Outlook Express users. I use Outlook (which is
different), was told I had it (from a source nothing to do with XMCA), but
failed to find it on my PC.

This worm operates just by copying a file onto the hard drive, which makes
it pretty easy to deal with once you know you've got it. If you don't know,
it will spread to all addresses in your address book, I think.

Bruce