Re: worms

From: Martin Ryder (mryder@carbon.cudenver.edu)
Date: Sat Jun 24 2000 - 18:27:15 PDT

I am open to technical correction on this, but I don't believe
that anyone can catch a virus simply bye "checking" the textual
contributions to xmca or any other mail messages. Text objects
are incapable of incubating a virus. Where the viruses lurk are
in the so-called "attachments", those objects that ride on the
heels of the text message and beg to be opened by an innocent
click of the mouse. Whether the attachment comes from somene
in this list, or from a long lost childhood friend, or from
your own mother, DON'T open it unless you have a pretty good
idea what it is. Opening unknown attachments is the mechanism
by which computers catch viruses in this electronic jungle called
email.

Martin R.