Re: Re(2): Re(2): marx & hegel

From: Nate Schmolze (nate_schmolze@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Jun 22 2000 - 11:58:33 PDT

Bill said,

"The question you raise for me is whether defectology can be described
dialectically as a contradiction between individual performance and normed
(collective) performance. Same on the other side of the curve -- "gifted".
"

Bill,

I am curious why you referred to norm tests as (collectivist) performance,
they seem to me individualistic at their core.

The test could be both as in the "unit of analysis" being a classroom,
school, nation etc. but it seems to me norms is a practice of
individualization rather than collective performance as my daughter's recent
normed results attests to.

I think Vygotsky's use of the collective is important here in which it
functioned as sign language or braile for a child with a "cognitive
disability". We would not (maybe we would bilingual children for example)
test the deaf or blind child without the use of sign language or braille.

I guess I am curious what about a "norm" would make it collectivist as
oppossed to individualistic.

Nate

At 10:16 AM -0500 6/22/00, Rosa Graciela Montes wrote:
>LSV's interest in "defectology" or "pathology". Do these observations
>transfer easily to other aspects?

Yes, Rosa. While the science education's 'misconceptions' research is now
viewed by many to be problematic, those studies did indicate the importance
of recognizing the contributions of student's prior knowledge and
interpretive/constructive processes in learning.

The question you raise for me is whether defectology can be described
dialectically as a contradiction between individual performance and normed
(collective) performance. Same on the other side of the curve -- "gifted".

bb