critiques of objective time

From: Jay Lemke (jllbc@cunyvm.cuny.edu)
Date: Sat Jun 17 2000 - 21:24:08 PDT

For anyone who may be interested, a recent overview of my critiques of
'objective time' in relation to multi-scale complex dynamical systems and
human development is included in a recent paper for a conference at UC
Berkeley. It's on my website at:

http://academic.brooklyn.cuny.edu/education/jlemke/papers/ucb/ucb-5.htm

(see particularly the subsection on heterochrony and development, but the
context is useful)

There is also a new addendum with the diagram from my AERA discussion in
the Gordon Wells symposium on new directions in CHAT, linked from the end
of the above page. Together with the whole paper of which the above is a
section, the addendum should help make sense of the diagram and its
motivation in a new way of the ZPD as well as my suggestions that
interactions with less as well as more experienced peers contribute to
development, and likewise that zpd interactions promote development of the
elder as well as the younger participant.

JAY.

JAY L. LEMKE
PROFESSOR OF EDUCATION
CITY UNIVERSITY OF NEW YORK