Re: historicity, gender, and social theory

From: Paul H. Dillon (illonph@pacbell.net)
Date: Fri Jun 16 2000 - 22:28:48 PDT

Nate, Jay,

I find Nate's message saying basically the thoughts I had about what I
thought would be my final response to the first 3+1 of Jay's message. One
of the most important themes of Marxist thought is that all theories have a
political existence, valence, and relationship; they reflect a pollitical
view--what is the politics of Jay's position. Another way to put this is:
for whom is this knowledge? Who does the knowledge (I am still
uncomfortable with the use of the word "truths" as Jay uses it) serve? In
other words, Jay, how do you position your analysis within the concrete
social systems in which it is produced? I find no real human subject of
this knowledge in the following description:

"The systems-that-know, the systems that do
semiosis, include human organisms both in the category sense and in the
part-whole sense. Human organisms are not subjects if they are taken in
isolation from the larger systems of which we are a part; any labor-based
theory of knowledge implies as much. The system in which knowing and
meaning occur as processes is a system larger than the organism, and a
system organized on and across many scales of organization. It is an
impossible question in general, and usually a difficult one in any concrete
case, to say which levels of organization, in what relationships to one
another, are the subjects of history. From DNA and cells, to organisms and
tools, to families, villages, social ecosystems, online communities and the
technologies that enable them ... and for each of these, just as for the
different Umwelts of different species, there are different truths."

It's all process, yes I guess this is a form of materialism. But for whom
and for what does it serve? What are the political consequences of you
delineating this in this way, sort of like Watt with his drawing and
diagrams, or are you, as I suspect simply "describing the way it is."

This morning I was writing the last part of a response to first 3+1
messages. I went out and came back to find 4 or 5 more, not as long as the
first 3+1 but a lot. I just can't seem to keep up with the volume. Now
it's late again, the massive heat wave in California (beginning of a long
hot summer that is the beginning of the long hot future, according to
scientists) has produced delightful 70 degree days here in the normally
foggy, cool northcoast summer. Thoughts turn elsewhere and I just don't
write that fast. Fortunately I think there are central points, like those
that exist in buildings, points that hold the whole edifice together and the
removal of which brings the reduces the entire structure to rubble. The
political position of this theorizing is one such point, the other is the
clearly objectivist notion of time that Jay employs to argue the complexity
of the multi-level system, a topic we discussed at length last November or
October.

In any event Nate, I'd like to say I'm really glad that you picked up on
the apolitical implications of Jay's position. One thing about dialectical
materialism, right or wrong it never denies its practical implications for
politics. You mention the WTO? In Capital Marx wrote that capitalism had
a world historical destiny to subsume all other modes of production, just in
the nature of its being to do this, like the scorpion on the proverbial
turtle's back. And just another of his many predictions to materialize in
the course of history. Lenin was among the first to identify the specific
historical forms of imperialism (mercantile, financial, etc.) with the
historical trajectory of class conflict in the industrialized nations of
Europe and America (an issue that seen chauvinistically raises an
anti-corporate capitalist furor among "anti-communist" american workers).
Andre Gundar Frank, Samir Amin and Immanuel Wallerstein among others who
have theorized the relationship between development in the center and
underdevelopment in the periphery (Wallerstein's terms), all all recognized
the importance of the Marxist analyses of the "capitalist world system" for
understanding the "world economic system". In Seattle, the historical
materialists, the reds, the communists, were just one of the thousand points
of light but then they were among the first to turn a light on this
particular phenomena now known as "globalization" and this was done with the
political intent of eliminating all relations of economic exploitation.

I'm unsure what is being illuminated with Jay's theoretical constructions or
why.

Paul H. Dillon