Re: Re(2): Lang embodied?

From: Nate Schmolze (nate_schmolze@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Jun 15 2000 - 19:02:26 PDT

Paul, Peter and others,

After reading both Paul and Judy's message one way to move forward with what
could be seen as a tense issue is looking at how it would play out
concretely. For example similar to what Andy did with Hegel with the women's
movement or pedogogical approaches.

I will give one example, awhile ago I had to opportunity to see some videos
of Russian education (Olga Diachenko) as well as hear her speak and read
some articles that are probally a concrete examples of what Peter was
getting at. What stood out for me with Diachenko was the cultural relevence
of the human-nature unity. Davydov is of course an other example which
some members are familar worth and could serve as a concrete example of how
some of the arguments could ascend to the concrete so to speak.

When I read Andy's "Getting to know Hegel" it seemed real pertinent to
various struggles going on today such as the disenfranchised left which has
been mentioned here in the past. I have read a little on dialectical
materialism such as Tobach's integrative levels where class, race, and
gender are central in bringing out the political, racist, sexist, eugenicist
nature of this activity we call science.

I'm not sure totally where I am going here, but Paul, Peter or any one else
for that matter how does dialectical-materialism engage, influence ones
(your, our) practice. "Life activity" is just too abstract for me. In what
ways could it help us look at the current political situation differently,
or as Judy hinted at other "objectivities" besides class.

Nate