AERC conf, Knud Illeris

From: Helena Worthen (hworthen@igc.org)
Date: Wed Jun 14 2000 - 06:10:27 PDT

Dear people -- we went to the AERC (Adult Education Research Conference)
in Vancouver May 31-June 4, a wonderful collection of people from all
over the world. There was a day and a half pre-conference about labor
which drew people from other wings of adult education and set some good
discussions going.

A high point of the conference for me was running into Knud Illeris,
learning theorist from Denmark, who was there doing a roundtable about
understanding the experience of training that people are engaged in when
they try to re-enter the workforce from unemployment, from their point
of view. The first part of his presentation was quite concrete, but
then he moved into his theoretical framework and I realized that here
was -- not exactly AT, but something that incorporated it and built it
out farther, that makes a strong link between the cognitive and
psychological. I'm not doing it justice with this summary -- please!

He gave me a copy of his book, "The Three Dimensions of Learning:
Contemporary Learning Theory in the Tension Field Between Piaget, Freud
and Marx." He has a few copies of this translated into English and
printed up as part of an effort to find a US publisher.

It seems to me that people on xmca should be, if not already familiar
with Illeris, then at least very interested in what he is doing. Is
this the case?

Heena Worthen
Assistant Professor of Labor Education
Chicago Labor Education Program