RE: Lang embodied? dialectics and ecologies

From: KELLY, ELIZABETH (EKELLY@gc.cuny.edu)
Date: Tue Jun 13 2000 - 08:49:21 PDT

About Paul and Andy and Jay:

 I want to thank Jay for suggesting that we need not worry too much that
dialectics and social-semiotic-ecologies are contradictory, and for
discussing some reasons of their perceived divergence.

Andy's comment on thinking of Hegel's Logic in terms of developing rational
social relations helped Jay's thougts to find a place in my own ind.

But now, Paul has confused me (and I hope he follows up after some sleep ---
it was 5 a.m.)with sublation and commensurability.

I feel certain this conversation has not ended but here are two questions:

Jay, are you arguing against a "flawed interpretation of Hegel's definition
of sublation" and "denying developmental levels" as Paul suggests?

Paul, could explain more of your ideas of commensurabilty? I mean more than
that "it is an empty abstraction from the process that posits it" or that it
"doesn't make sense" in the example of talking outloud / silent speech?

Elizabeth