Re: Lang embodied?

From: Eva Ekeblad (eva.ekeblad@goteborg.utfors.se)
Date: Mon Jun 12 2000 - 04:48:22 PDT

Hi all

The little discussion between Bill and Judy about semiotic ecology and
dialectics has made me wonder, abstractly, about whether dialectics and
social-semiotic-ecologics are formally incompatible or not.

Bill opposes 'dialectics' = 'struggling of opposing principles' to
'semiotic ecology' = 'a unity of people and things' and Judy agrees that
"dialectics is not what is viewed as the primary operational principle of
ecological change/development."

This leaves me childishly wondering, as I have tended to assimilate these
two principles to each others, as members of a family of relational
(feedback) thinking.

The 'struggling of opposing principles' does call to mind a Battle of
Giants -- but don't you think that if Hegel had been around in the final
decades of the last century, he would have phrased his ideas in a less
reifying way? (and since he HASN'T he should be given the benefit of doubt)

What I can see is that when people talk about dialectics, they tend to
focus on some central conceptual aspect of the process of world, while
ecologically inspired approaches are more prone to include multitudes of
aspects.

Is there a deeper gulf I am overlooking?

Eva