RE: Essence and objectivity

From: Judy Diamondstone (diamonju@rci.rutgers.edu)
Date: Wed Jun 07 2000 - 21:06:47 PDT

Thanks to Nate for more clarification. I'm illiterate in marxism, which
leads to vague and clumsy argument. I'd also like others to help to think
better about 'how mediation & lang. fit into the discussion"
Judy

(You said:
>It is not so much an accepting or denying of "objectivity" but questioning
what is lost in the
>objective progression of knowledge that you outlined. I think history is
important, but see it
>more "historically specific" than "historically progressive"....
SNIP
>What do we lose when we exclude all that is not
>essential - to me what gets lost is the rich cultural-historical aspect of
human experience....
SNIP
>It seems to me there are countless examples of "objectivity" being used to
naturalize cultural
>experience and in that sense I think objectivity has a social function and
here I mean a
>function of power....)

Judith Diamondstone (732) 932-7496 Ext. 352
Graduate School of Education
10 Seminary Place
New Brunswick, NJ 08901-1183