Re: taking a break

From: Paul H. Dillon (illonph@pacbell.net)
Date: Tue May 23 2000 - 15:40:48 PDT

hi mike,

no he was not an activity theorist because his was an object of pure reason,
not of activity at all: his a perfect subject that knows nothing other than
itself , his the perfect object completely incapable of being known. To
his credit, he had imagination bridge the gulf -- but a disembodied, sexless
imagination.

Nevertheless Hegel applauded Kant for discovering "the notion" (intro to the
Shorter Logic) and Ilyenkov, the concrete universal (Essays in Dialectical
reason), in Kant's description of the beautiful as the sublimation of
reason in sensuality and vice-versa (Critique of Judgment). Marcuse
impacted directly or indirectly, an entire generation by mixing Kant's
interpretation the beautiful with Freud's theory of sublimation and Marx's
theory of class society (Eros and Civilization). Angela Davis did her
dissertation on it.

So there was something old Kant caught a glimpse of, no doubt.

Paul