Re(4): Re(2): psychoanalysis and...CHAT

From: Diane Hodges (dhodges@ceo.cudenver.edu)
Date: Wed May 17 2000 - 07:04:33 PDT

bill sez:
>Hi Diane,
>
>I must have been more tired than I thought when I replied, and no offense
>was implied, taken, or intended. You're right -- there are some basic
>problems with US education that we all most likely have experienced, and
>that have existed for a long time.
>
>Contemplating more just makes me pause...

no offense taken, none at all, bill - really, i think it's useful to think
about the kinds
of critiques in "science" such as the one you noted,

and in terms of how the university segregates its faculties of knowledge
in relation to what kinds of "science" are practiced -
and again, my concerns are with "social science" -- and how it is that
Education
has emerged as such; how it is maintained as such,
what that produces in terms of change, or no-change, - these are, to me,
really
important questions. i appreciated your noting different sciences, because
the
tendency is to critique the "hard" sciences and to modify the social
sciences

- the difference between critique and modifications are quite different,
of course.
but offended? no no no. not at all. questions never offend, dismissal
does.

thanks for not being dismissive, dahling.
diane

                                        :point where everything listens.
and i slow down, learning how to
enter - implicate and unspoken (still) heart-of-the-world.

(Daphne Marlatt, "Coming to you")

diane celia hodges

 university of british columbia, centre for the study of curriculum and
instruction
 university of colorado, denver, school of education

Diane_Hodges@ceo.cudenver.edu