A digital ethnography journey

From: Nate (schmolze@students.wisc.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 27 2000 - 20:04:58 PDT

Thought some would find this interesting. The site is designed to
complement a book by the same title.

"Imagine a living narrative -- an evolving story told with words, moving
images, and sounds. This book portrays young people's thinking attitudes in
computer-based learning environments, and it describes how the practice of
ethnography is changing using networked media. I liken this form of
interaction to a double helix, where learning and ethnography are
intertwined to tell an emergent story about partnerships with technology."

http://www.pointsofviewing.com/

Nate Schmolze
http://www.geocities.com/nate_schmolze/
schmolze@students.wisc.edu

****************
"Overcoming the naturalistic concept of mental development calls for a
radically new approach
to the interrelation between child and society. We have been led to this
conclusion by a
special investigation of the historical emergence of role-playing. In
contrast to the view
that role playing is an eternal extra-historical phenomenon, we hypothesized
that role playing emerged at a specific stage of social development, as the
child's position in society changed
in the course of history. role-playing is an activity that is social in
origin and,
consequently, social in content."

                              D. B. El'konin