RE: activity/reproduction/power

From: Nate (schmolze@students.wisc.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 26 2000 - 12:19:16 PDT

Mary,

I'll go to the source of my comment about Foucault. On page 100 in History
of Sexuality V1, Foucault states, "to be more precise, we must not imagine a
world of discourse divided between accepted discourse and excluded
discourse, or between dominant discourse and the dominated one; but as a
multiplicity of discursive elements that can come into play in various
stategies".

On 102, he continues,

"We must not expect the discourses on sex to tell us, above all, what
stategy they derive from, or what moral divisions they accompany, or what
ideology - dominant or dominated - they represent; rather we must question
them o the two levels of their tactical productivity (what recipical effects
of power and knowledge they ensure) and their strategical integration (what
conjunction and what force relationship make their utilization necessary in
a given episode of the various confrontations that occur).

In short, it is a question of orienting ourselves to a conception of power
which replaces the privledge of law with the viewpoint of the objective, the
privledge of prohibition with the viewpoint of tactical efficiency, the
privledge of soverignty with the analsis of a multiple and mobile field of
force relations..."

Burchell comments Foucault was argueing for an objectivity of power that
could be compared to the objectivity of freedom in liberalism. A focus on
the analytics of power rather than a theory per se.

This is where my comment came from.

Nate

Nate Schmolze
http://www.geocities.com/nate_schmolze/
schmolze@students.wisc.edu

****************
"Overcoming the naturalistic concept of mental development calls for a
radically new approach
to the interrelation between child and society. We have been led to this
conclusion by a
special investigation of the historical emergence of role-playing. In
contrast to the view
that role playing is an eternal extra-historical phenomenon, we hypothesized
that role playing emerged at a specific stage of social development, as the
child's position in society changed
in the course of history. role-playing is an activity that is social in
origin and,
consequently, social in content."

                              D. B. El'konin