Re: Dale--Workplace enculturation and authority

From: Elizabeth A Wardle (ewardle@iastate.edu)
Date: Fri Apr 14 2000 - 21:32:45 PDT

Dale,
Thanks for the feedback. I'd love to talk with you more about it at some
point, especially since you are so close. I actually don't think our two
approaches are that different, although perhaps the way I explained it gave
that impression. As to your question about whether or not my research
subject can function in his new COP without having the standing to make
decision-making activities--that is what I'm waiting to see. At first, they
let him be involved in decision-making activities. But I think that is
slowly changing. I'm interested to see whether he gets to hang when he's
been divested of any real authority....or whether he'll figure out how to
cash out his cultural capital before he gets to that point.

The Dias book is _Worlds Apart._ Apparently he has another one in press,
but I haven't seen it yet, either. I'm waiting for it.

Take care, and thanks again for the feedback.

Elizabeth