Re(2): lects

From: Martin Owen (mowen@rem.bangor.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Apr 10 2000 - 04:15:19 PDT

Randy inquires:

>>>"so wi can lyrn in lesyns and bihef wen tetys tel ys to lisyn" and " we
>>>haftw bihef and lisyn o wi get a row ol the taim if we dont lisyn".
>>>
>.
>
>Just phonetically, the f/v substitutions sound like a Welsh dialect.

in the Welsh alphabet the "v" sound in English is represented by the
letter "f"
in welsh the soft "f" (as in "farm") is represented by the letter "ff".

>That she's not hearing any "r" coloring in "teachers" could be a dialectal
>marker, as could "ol" rather than "al" for "all," and the e for the long a
>sound in "behave."

"R's in Welsh are usually come with an exagerrated roll... hence it is
easy to not see it when it is there in English

>I'm interested too in that diphthong in "taim."
The pronounciation of the Welsh plural word "houses - tai" is waht in
Englsih you would have as "tie". I hope that explains the dipthong. In
welsh we have a lot of accented vowels (mainly extension with use of
circumflex). the letters w and y represent vowels in Welsh.

> So I took Martin's question as being about whether there's a possible
>line
>to be drawn between the child's "Welsh" and "English." And then, beyond
>the
>orthographic, one could perhaps make a case that this is "School" or
>"Obedient, Disciplined and Punished."

I suppose I am getting clearer in my mind about drawing lines and
standards. There is a point at which individualism works against a
collective desire of a sunstantial group of others. We follow rules
because it enables us to do things collectively. I suppose you can not do
that if you do not know the rules.

Martin