Re: lects

From: Helena Worthen (hworthen@igc.org)
Date: Sun Apr 09 2000 - 08:19:27 PDT

I recently visited the huge, beautiful NECA-IBEW Technical Institute, the
apprenticeship program for union electrical workers just southwest of
Chicago. Like several other local union apprenticeship programs, this one is
developing links to community colleges and in this case to 4-year BA granting
institutions so that people coming into the trade as apprentices will also be
on track for gathering a college degree down the line.

Often, the hitch in arranging such an articulation comes from the general
education requirements -- especially English comp -- of the articulating
institution.

The issue can be seen as competing views of what constitutes a text. The
texts that apprentices learn to read include multi-dimensional diagrams and
multi-level indexes, for example. Expand this to occupationl/technical
programs generally and we get texts that look like what Jay posted -- weather
reports for flight plans, for exmaple, and blueprints, codes of various sorts
(this relates to why I was so happy to see Peter Smagorinsky's broad sweep of
what constituted a text).

Practical implications of grasping that these special registers are ways of
reading and writing include reducing the tension between liberal arts and
occpupational/technical programs in community colleges, accreditation for
technical programs seeking articulation agreements, recruitment into
apprenticeship programs....etc.

Helena Worthen