Re: translation

From: Paul Dillon (dillonph@northcoast.com)
Date: Thu Apr 06 2000 - 21:12:00 PDT

Mike,

I just returned and found more good xmca stuff in my mail box than I've seen
for quite some time. just working my way through it with no intent to make
any substantive participation (just no time! I even have to write something
to you about community college/UC links .

But . . . if no one else has responded to the question concerning which
terms Frege used, they are: Sinn and Bedeutung which likewise are translated
sense and meaning and were the basis of a great deal of research from Frege,
through Russell, (who also produced the theory of types that Bateson used to
develop the theory of learning levels that Engestrom applied in learning by
expanding) and on into Church . . . I think Bealer's "Quality and
Concept" provides a good discussion of philosophical logic including the
Russell/Frege dispute about the theory of meaning as well as Bealer's own
contribution.

Oh how much I wish I had time to participate.

It has always intrigued me that Vygotsky's triangle and Frege's triangle are
so similar--

has anyone explored that relationship? It's very iconic

Paul H. Dillon