RE: lects

From: Ana Marjanovic Shane (shane@voicenet.com)
Date: Thu Apr 06 2000 - 19:28:53 PDT

Martin,

She reminded me of the time I was learning English as an 11 year old. I
used to write exactly like that - sometimes even using cyrilic!!! - because
I needed to know how to pronounce the words. Proper English spelling
pronounced phonetically does not sound like English.
It is a matter of which spelling convention is learned first, I think.
Welsh is spelled phonetically and so is Serbocroatian - and you need to
know how to pronounce...
"Beautiful" does not make phonetic sense, but "biyutiful" does!!!
Ana

This morning I was in a school where the natural mode of communication is