RE: Anyone object?

From: Judy Diamondstone (diamonju@rci.rutgers.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 05 2000 - 19:22:58 PDT

Eva wrote:
>... and selves, what are they, if not collectors of moments, of
>performances? You know, introspectively, when I talk to myself about
>specific people (i.e. I think of them) I do so by name -- the Name as a
>clasp for my previous experience of'em, by whatever medium. I don't know if
>a name is a self? Do you think it is?

no!
If they do
>have a certain stability, it is certainly a shifting and malleable one... I
>don't usually pry apart whether it is me or another Name that shifts shape:
>the relation moves. And with Names that are around in my electronic
>environs often, the voice produces a virtual body, a vague sense of,
>perhaps, a face, a deportment... meeting xmca Names IRL I have, a few
>times, been really surprised, but mostly not. Mostly the expansion
>contributed by RL has been a lot gentler.

I think it all amounts to what Mike said:

"It's prolepsis. Isn't everything?"

-- that, given our penchant for naming & given the non-trivial effects we
have on others, we should learn at least to err on the side of generosity.

>So, perhaps I'm asking if we should change names more often...

If it were up to Judith, she would say so. Judi would certainly say so. Judy
might say it's okay for Judith and Judi, but not for her. Jude is around
these days but only with El, so i'm not sure about about Jude.
But Judge and Mimsi both are back for the moment to say,
For now,
iz jez me

Judith Diamondstone (732) 932-7496 Ext. 352
Graduate School of Education
10 Seminary Place
New Brunswick, NJ 08901-1183