FW: translation

From: Eugene Matusov (ematusov@udel.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 04 2000 - 14:41:41 PDT

-----Original Message-----
From: Vera P. John-Steiner [mailto:vygotsky@unm.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, April 04, 2000 11:30 AM
To: ematusov@UDel.Edu
Subject: Re: translation

Hi Eugene et al,
I think the way in which meaning and sense have been interpreted by
English speaking folks is a useful one. Sense is linked, in my
understanding to subtext, which highlights the possibility of bringing
contextualized, personal (but still negotiated) understandings to a
word.
I am a litle concerned about re-arranging all this with new
interpretations.
(Is this a reflection of creeping old age on my part?) I think the
notion of sign adds to the interpretation of meaning, but the dichotomy
implicit
in some of our discussions may be shifted if we think of these two
asoects of meaning (core nmeaning and sense as a system with different
aspects gaining temporary salience in a specific context.)
Vera
P.s. if you want to put this on the network, fine, I just noticed that
the message is addresssed to you, Eugene.

--
Vera P. John-Steiner