RE: how far?

From: Nate (schmolze@students.wisc.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 04 2000 - 13:16:15 PDT

Mike,

I agree strongly with your statement about "passive consent". I think any
material used from one's message should have an explicit asking for
permission. I was uncomfortable with the initial "passive consent" out of
the context Eva mentioned.

I guess I feel it should be considered no different than seeking permission
/ consent for any "site" one would do research in. First, one would seek
permission to have acess to the site (passive consent"), and then permission
would be sought (explicitly) from specific individuals whose discourse will
be used as part of the research. I am not comfortable with what I saw Bruce
hinting at, "having a right to reply", because that would change the whole
context. I think it should be a flat yes/no question although I agree with
Bruce more details might be useful in allowing one to make a yes/no
decision.

What I was reacting to in your message was, "please let me know if it is ok
for me to use this
material in the way I have" which seemed too far. I think we, researchers,
have a responsibility to be straight forward about what the research
entails, but not seeking consent for how we analyze, interpret, or frame
that research.

Nate

Nate Schmolze
http://www.geocities.com/nate_schmolze/
schmolze@students.wisc.edu

****************
"Overcoming the naturalistic concept of mental development calls for a
radically new approach
to the interrelation between child and society. We have been led to this
conclusion by a
special investigation of the historical emergence of role-playing. In
contrast to the view
that role playing is an eternal extra-historical phenomenon, we hypothesized
that role playing emerged at a specific stage of social development, as the
child's position in society changed
in the course of history. role-playing is an activity that is social in
origin and,
consequently, social in content."

                              D. B. El'konin