Re: sense/meaning

From: Gary D Shank (shank@duq.edu)
Date: Sun Apr 02 2000 - 18:05:57 PDT

as usual i cant say anything intelligent about vygotsky but mike's
question resonated with me in a peircean way. peirce would make the
distinction between belief and meaning. belief is a psychological
phenomenon that we might and sometimes do modify -- he would say
'make/construct belief' if he had been wont to use that sort of language.
meaning however is something that is constitutive of reality, and is
actually the form of order that we can best discover in the world via
logic. but meaning was not a psychological concept for peirce at all --
my blind and dogged devotion to peirce makes me wince when i come acrpss
the notion of 'constructing meaning' and constructivism in general, but
this is a problem of mine and not of the world at large -- but would it be
so....

gary shank
shank@duq.edu

ps my daughter morgan, who is one nifty web designer, just finished and
loaded my personal homepage at

http://www.home.duq.edu/~shank

eat your hearts out, all of ye :-)