sense/meaning

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Sun Apr 02 2000 - 10:59:54 PDT

hi Peter --

In reading your paper, I kept finding myself wondering about the role
of a sense/meaning distinction in your thinking. A lot of he time I felt
myself wanting to replace uses of the term meaning with the term sense.
Perhaps a way to get at my question is with the following question: Is
it useful to speak of "personal meaning" or "making meaning of the text"
and if so when (in contrast with spaking of "personal sense" and
"making sense of the text."

I believe that my confusions are related to issue of designative and
expressive aspects of meaning and whether they are completmentary or
incommsurable, but am too confused to be sure.
mike