Re: Request for reading of argument

From: Helena Worthen (hworthen@igc.org)
Date: Thu Mar 30 2000 - 06:34:24 PST

Diane, thanks for the kind words and the mention of Raymond Williams.

The "mangerial" tone is what I'm talking about in industrial relations. I'd
express this by saying ID research has a unitary view of its field that
foregrounds the production process above all other processes.

How would AT deal with racism, sexism, homophobia, the conditions of sweatshop
workers, linguistic segregation? Well, at the very least it enables the
researcher to move around inside the system and see these as nodes of
contradiction in a set of nested contexts...they become visible. If your
focus is entirely on how productivity increases, you can't tell whether these
social relationships are taking place -- these social processes, actually,
because these are all actions.

Labor educators draw on a broad curriculum of materials to teach union rank
and file and leadership about these very concerns -- they're important because
they tear a union apart and make organizing next to impossible. These
educators are the people who I expect will find activity theory so intuitive
that they will wonder why we're even talking about it. But when we shift from
thinking about teaching to thinking about research, the need for some other
kind of theoretical framework becomes apparent because labor educators have to
present at the same conferences and publish in the same journals as the
industrial relations people. If the theoretical framework isn't explicit,
there can't be conversation about it.

Is this what you mean by "compicating the way relations are hierarchically
structured...?"

Helena