RE: Butler and translation

From: Helen Beetham (H.Beetham@plymouth.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Mar 14 2000 - 01:52:19 PST

Martin:

> The model he, and his fellow researchers around the world seem to adopt
> is the notion of having multiple mediation systems ( not a phrase they
> would use) as being distinctly advantageous for learners providing them
> with multiple perspectives(although it hasn't helped my spelling).

Sorry this isn't a research reference coz i'm not really an educational
researcher (as you know) but I wonder how the term bi/multilingualism
relates to Bakhtin's polyglossia? My own way of imagining the connection
comes via James Joyce and follows the logic which took him from Ulysses
(polyglossial collisions of genre, style, register, vocabulary...) to
Finegans Wake (polylingual).

some unedited stream of consciousness on this:

Ulysses
polyglossia
network of voices (speakers)
crossing pathways (the city)
genre as always-moving horizon
stylistics/pragmatics

Finegans Wake
polylingualism
internet of codes (written languages)
intersecting fields (the body)
language as always-moving horizon
semantics

(Hope no turbo-powered US Joyceans are reading this stuff).

Does that give a carnivalesque bakhtinian glow to
your common-or-garden bilingualism on this Tuesday morning?

(Here in the South West I only have Du Maurier to pit against your
Dylan Thomas - can I nominate JJ as my adoptive muse please? But the
daffs are lovely in these parts...)

Helen