Re: Butler

From: Paul Dillon (dillonph@northcoast.com)
Date: Sun Mar 12 2000 - 09:11:35 PST

Phil,

You wrote,

> but how many speakers of english as a second language know
> that America is the land of the Naciremas?

This is an interesting point but my reference to the Nacirema wasn't just a
personal invention. An anthropologist wrote a book by the same name by the
same name sometime in the 60s (50s?) . I don't know where my copy is so I
can't check the author.

The practice of citing references that might or might not be known to the
general xmca membership, whether or not they speak English as a first
language, seems to be a regular xmca practice. When I addressed mike I had
a suspicion that he might know of the work--it followed with the erewhon . .
.

Interesting point though, should we restrict our references to those that
we know are only accessible or probably known to everyone? Again we hit
the question of "who is everyone?"

Paul