RE: what's foucaultian

From: Nate (schmolze@students.wisc.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 10 2000 - 15:45:54 PST

Paul said,

"This to me is where the tire hits the road--looking at which theoretical
constructs are used and useful in which types of practice. Theory as
artifact in which activity systems. I'm still waiting to see an example of
Foucaultianism in this kind of practice."

I think this is very correct. Applying Foucault to the context you describe
would seem very anti-foucaultian. What practice we apply Foucault is of
central importance. The practices I see Foucault being most useful are the
"knowledge practices". A brand of critique or reflexivity in which it is
the academic's practice that is the object of critique.

I also see Virginia's paper being complentary with Foucault's ideas in
Archeaology of Knowledge. The academic and medical discourses in the name of
truth no doubt influence practice on various levels that are not necessarily
positive.

I guess I would say rather than posing a theory with an answer, Foucault
continually poses questions for the theory.

Nate