not happy

From: Jay Lemke (jllbc@cunyvm.cuny.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 08 2000 - 19:22:38 PST

Yes, I'm not in a particularly good mood these days, for reasons having
nothing to do with xmca.

But when I turn to my accumulated messages of the last few weeks from the
list, hoping for good humor, provocative ideas, the joy of our community
... something to help turn my mood, as it's done for me often enough in the
past ...

What do I find?

Well, you know what I found.

I'm away now until later this month. When I get back, instead of griping, I
will try to post some constructively interesting questions, perhaps around
Prawat's response to Stetsenko & Arievitch (in a recent MCA), perhaps
around what I hear at the applied linguistics meetings and a small
conference on ecological approaches to language socialization (whither I
go), and/or on the latest mysteries bedevilling me -- how to
reconceptualize development and social dynamics with alternative notions of
time (heterochrony, multiple timescales, fractal time, folded time, process
time) and get something useful -- or at least something FUN!

with affection toward our community ..... JAY.

PS. Americans may have an unfair cultural advantage in identifying the
familiar genre models for this message. Others get extra points for knowing
us better than we bother to know you, and extra gratitude for bothering to
help us see ourselves from your points of view! ... another disaffected
American intellectual.

PPS. Rules? My role in life is subverting the rules others try to make for
me, at least within my own culture where a general sense of kindness and
good humor suffice instead. Outside my own culture I beg indulgence for
bumping up against unwritten rules I may try to respect but usually fail to
fully intuit. I don't seem to have any trouble distinguishing these two
conditions.

JAY L. LEMKE
PROFESSOR OF EDUCATION
CITY UNIVERSITY OF NEW YORK