FW: Tutchev in English

From: Eugene Matusov (ematusov@UDel.Edu)
Date: Mon Mar 06 2000 - 16:58:44 PST

-----Original Message-----
From: Rachel Heckert [mailto:heckertkrs@juno.com]
Sent: Sunday, March 05, 2000 8:18 PM
To: ematusov@UDel.Edu
Subject: Re: Tutchev in English

Hi Eugene and list,

I think that you're right about "identity" being a new term. I remember
that when I was young (oh, so many years ago) the term was just beginning
to come into use, I think from Erikson, as in "identity crisis" - the
idea was, an adolescent has no firm sense of self but must build one by
differentiating him/herself from others, especially parents. (What have
Americans got against parents?) Without an "identity" one feels lost
and insecure, "existentialist" angst (which was also very big then). If
you feel your "identity" getting unstuck, you have an "identity crisis"
and go around distraught asking yourself, "who am I really?" (Which
sounds a little like what the psychologists call depersonalization
disorder :-) It's an "individualist" term as opposed to a "collectivist"
type.

Lichnost just comes from the word for "face" as in "unique quality of
*this* individual." "Identity" and "identity crisis" started out as
things that you only had if you were middle-class and college-educated.
It proved you weren't an uneducated, unthinking clod. ;-)

Rachel