Final AERA CHAT SIG Program update

From: Dr. Pedro R. Portes (prport01@louisville.edu)
Date: Mon Mar 06 2000 - 11:54:11 PST

>Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 11:57:07 -0500
>To: chatsig
>From: "Dr. Pedro R. Portes" <prport01@athena.louisville.edu>
>Subject: Final AERA CHAT SIG Program update/help!
>
>Please read below
>>
>>2000 AERA Annual Meeting
>> Sessions
>>
>>Below is our program for New Orleans
>>--------------------------------
>>

>>Symposium I
>>THURSDAY 4:05- 6:05 lE MERIDIEN
>> Session Title: Activity theory & School Change: Connecting Theory &
Intervention
>> SPONSORS: CHR
>> CHAIR- Michael Cole
>> Laboratory of Comparative Human Cognition, UCSD
>> DISCUSSANT
>> PARTICIPANTS
>> An Activity-Theoretical Study of Expansive Learning
among Middle
>> School Teachers. Yrjö Engeström; Ritva Engeström,
University of
>> California, San Diego and the Academy of Finland;
University of Helsinki
>> Theory and Practice of Activity Theory: Changing
Visions in a
>> Postmodern World. Elina Lampert Shepel, Globe
Institute of
>> Technology,Inc., Teachers College, Columbia University
>> The Coordination of School Partnerships with the
Theory of Activity.
>> William Barowy, Lesley College

>WEDNESDAY 2:15- 4:15 SHERATON
>>Symposium II
>> Session Title: Learning and Living in the 21st Century: Socio-Cultural
Perspectives on the
>> Future of Education
>> SPONSORS: CHR / Division G
>> CHAIR
>>
>> Jose Hernandez CSU - San Bernandino
>> DISCUSSANT
>>
>> Gordon Wells OISE
>> Presentations
>> 1
>> General principles and Strategies of Education. Anna
Stesenko & Igor
>> Arievitch - Univ. of Bern Eugene Matusov & John St.
Julian - Univ. of
>> Delaware Vera John Steiner & Holbrook Mahn - Univ. of
New Mexico
>> Jay Lemke- City Univ. of New York
>> 2
>> Changing the Cultures of Classroom. Seth Chaiklin -
Aarhus Univ.
>> Denmark Paul Cobb, Kay McCain & Marcy Singer-Gabella -
Vanderbilt
>> Univ. Giyoo Hatano - Tokyo Univ.-Japan Roland Tharp - UCSC
>> 3
>> Adult and Professional Education. Yrjo Engestrom -
Univ. of California
>> Gordon Wells - Univ. of Toronto - Canada Katherine
Brown & Michael
>> Cole - UCSD Pablo del Rio & Amelia Alvarez - Univ. - de
Salamanca -
>> Spain ------------------
>>

>>-------------------------------------------------------------------
>

>FRIDAY 8:15 - 10:15 MARIOTT
>
>>Symposium III
>>Diversity Matters: New Perspectives from Sociocultural Theory
>>
>>Symposiasts
>>
>>Kris Gutierrez
>>Carol Lee
>>Garret Duncan
>>Luis Moll
>>Amelia Alvarez
>>Pablo del Rio

>>Willem Wardekker
>>King Beach
>>Mariane Hedeegaard
>>Jose Sanchez Medina et al

>> Session Title: Cultural Historical Research Roundtables 1
>> SPONSORS: CHR
>
>> TUESDAY 8:45 9:25 MARIOTT
>>
>> Presentations
>> Table
>> A comparative, multicultural history of rites of
passage programs
>in the United States. James J. Ansaldo, Indiana University
>> Table
>> A Re-Assessment of the Legacy of Progressive Education
in New Mexico.
>> Andrew Neal, University of New Mexico Richard Landavazo,
>> Albuquerque TVI
>> Table
>> Discourses of literacy: Cultural models of White,
urban, middle-class
>> parents of kindergarten children. Steven, M. Bialostok,
CSU Sacramento
>> Table
>> Funds of knowledge: Adolescent contributions. J. David
Betts, University
>> of Arizona
>> Table
>> Illuminating the Relationship between Teacher
Intentionality and Student
>> Academic Development. Cynthia, A. McCallister, New York
University
>> Table
>> MARY PARKER FOLLETT: EXPLORING HER CONTRIBUTION.
>> Helen D. Armstrong, University of Saskatchewan
>> Table
>> Selecting a Unit of Analysis for Private Speech
Research: Form vs.
>> Function. Julia M. Matuga, Bowling Green State University

---------

>WED. 10:35- 11:15 MARIOTT
>> Session Title: Cultural Historical Research Roundtables II
>> Presentations
>> Table
>> The Imbalanced Society and Schools for Inquiry &
Creativity. Agnellom
>> Mary F., University of Texas-San Antonio Robert O.
Slater, University of
>> Texas-San Antonio
>> Table
>> The Relationships Between Cultural Differences Among
American and
>> Chinese University Students and the Design of Personal
Pages on the World
>> Wide Web. Giali Chu, University of Georgia T. C. Reeves,
University of
>> Georgia
>> Table
>> Teachers as Novelists. Stanton Wortham - Penn State
University
>> Table
>> Transformative or Reproductive?: The Social and
Political Context of the
>> Knowledge Creation Process. Nisha Gupta, Syracuse
University
>> Table
>> Using verbal language as a cultural tool, mediating
musical thinking in
>> instructional settings. Joan Russell, McGill University
>> Table
>> Using What is to Hand, to Ear and to Mind: A Theory of
the Deaf Writer's
>> Meaning Making. Connie C Mayer, York University
>> Table
>> Mind, Culture and the Ideological Sign in Oral Narrative
in Schooling. R. L.
>> Whitman University of Arizona

>THURSDAY 8:15- 9:45 SHERATON
>> Session Title: Cultural-Historical Theory Roundtables III
>> SPONSORS: CHR
>> Presentations
>> Table
>> Constructing Mental Representations: Mutual
Appropriations in the ZPD.
>> C, K. Fantaousakis Kean University
>> Table
>> Youth Initiated Dialogue in an Inner City Gardening
Program. Jrene Rahm
>> Univ. of Northern Colorado
>> Table
>> Knotworking anf Not Knowing: Performing at the limits
of activity theory.
>> Judith Diamondstone Rutgers University
>> Table
>> And I'll Always Remember That: Mind, Culture & Sign in
Narrative.
>> Robert Whitman Univ. of Arizona
>> Table
>> Comparing Discourses: Democracy, the Coalition of
Essential Schools and
>> the Eight Year Study chools. Tom C. Wilson, Chapman
University
>> Table
>> Walking in the Stricken City and Expanding the
Construction of
>> Collaborative Memory. Yamazumi Katsuhiro, Osaka
University of
>> Education Yamazumi Katsutoshi, Osaka University
>> Table
>> The Role of Emotion in Learning to Read for one
Adolescent non-Reader.
>> Judith Lysaker Indiana University
>>

>>-[------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------

>TUESDAY 8:15-9:45 SHERATON
>> Session Title: Cultural Historical Research Roundtables IV
>> SPONSORS: CHR
>>
>> Presentations
>> Table
>> Creating Educational Knowledge Into the 21st Century:
Culture, Race and Language in Educational Research, 1998-2000: Dominant
and Alternative
>> Perspectives. Seana M. McGovern, Providence College
>> Table
>> Sustaining by Expanding: The Role of Community in
Organizational
>> Development. Honorine D. Nocon, Laboratory of
Comparative Human
>> Cognition, UC San Diego
>> Table
>> The Cultural Assumptions: The interdependent
self-construal from a
>> developmental perspective. Yaowen Chang, Teachers College
>> Table
>> The Role of Culture in the Transformation of
Intentions: How Ignoring
>> School Culture Resulted in the Failure of a Reform
Effort. Christine M.
>> Patterson, Univ. of Missouri-Columbia
>> Table
>> Teaching in the ZPD in Kentucky's Multi-Age Classrooms.
Cindy
>> Gradinger & Ellen McIntyre Univ. of Louisville
>> Table
>> Dewey in the Middle Kingdom: A CHAT Study of Multiple
Perspectives of
>> his Influence on Early Education in China. Candance
Kaye CSU Long
>> Beach
>> Table
>> The Meaning of Grades to University Students. Linda
Fitzgerald Univ. of
>> Northern Iowa
>>
>>-------------------------------------------------------------------
>>

>Session Title: CHAT Roundtables V - Socio-cultural Perspectives On
Communities of Practice

>Tuesday 3:05 3:45 mariott
> Presentations
>> Table
>> Meaning in the making: A study of toddler play. David
Kritt CUNY
>> Table
>> Bringing home to school. University of Houston
>> Table
>> Meeting Erikson in the ZPD. Michael Glssman - Ohio
State Carol
>> Sawyer Univ. of Houston
>> Table
>> Group and Individual Learning in improvisational play
Play. Keith
>> Sawyer Washington University
>>
>>Discussant Artin Goncu Univ of Ill. Chicago
>>

>>The Business/Invited Speaker late MONDAY evening session is AT 6:15PM,
MARIOTT

>>Vygotsky's Legacy of Practical Educational Reform in Russia: The Golden
Key Curriculum
>>( This session appears tentative due to visa issues..a new program may be
substituted)
>>Elena Kravtsova & Lev Kravtsov (grandchild)
>>Vygotsky Institute of Psychology
>>
>>Dot Robbins Central Missouri State Univ.
>>>

>Hopefully, these folks will upload their papers unto the CHAT webpage
Eugene designed so that some discussions can take place, particularly in
support of roundtables.
Pedro R. Portes
Professor
Educational Psychology & Counseling
502-852-0630
        0629 Fax

"..the true teacher is that teacher who constructs
 his own educational work not (just) by inspiration,
 but on the basis of scientific knowldege.
 Science is the truest path to the mastery of life. "