RE: what is community?

From: Nate (schmolze@students.wisc.edu)
Date: Mon Mar 06 2000 - 07:24:51 PST

-----Original Message-----
From: maria judith [mailto:costlins@ism.com.br]
Sent: Monday, March 06, 2000 7:49 AM
To: schmolze@students.wisc.edu
Subject: Re: what is community?

Nate,
you talked about Popekewitz' article on Vygotsky and Dewey, and this
interested me very much. how can I get it, please ? Thanks, maria judith

I found the reference, it is below. Also, this article motivated a thread
awhile back and can be found at,

http://communication.ucsd.edu/MCA/Mail/xmcamail.1999_02.dir/0158.html

TITLE
Dewey, Vygotsky, and the social administration of the individual:
constructivist pedagogy as systems of ideas in historical spaces

AUTHOR(S)
Popkewitz, Thomas S

SOURCE
American Educational Research Journal v 35 no4 Winter 1998.p. 535-70.

ABSTRACT
Current constructivists' pedagogies draw on the writings of early 20th
century Russian psychologist Vygotsky and the American
philosopher/psychologist Dewey. This occurs without examining the historical
spaces of the past and present in which that knowledge is socially
constructed. This emptying of history in systems of knowledge is odd for an
intellectual project concerned with cultural-historical theories. To address
this omission, the writings of Dewey and Vygotsky are examined as part of
the turn-of-the-century human sciences. They functioned to bring the new
democratic political rationalities into the governing of individual conduct.
Contemporary pedagogical theories that draw on Dewey and Vygotsky maintain
this function of governing conduct, but with different narratives and
images. The differences are made visible when comparing the "problem-solving
individual" in education with the images of the individual inscribed in
social theory, state policies, economics, and the military. My moving
between the past and the present and between education and other social
practices directs attention to the shifting terrain that relates school
knowledge, power, and problems of social inclusion/exclusion. Copyright 1998
by the American Educational Research Association.

DESCRIPTORS
Vygotskii, L S 1896 1934; Dewey, John, 1859 1952; Constructivism Education .