RE: what's important

From: hillsl (sara.hill@vanderbilt.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 01 2000 - 17:53:57 PST

Mike,
Just to add a brief note to this discussion...As someone who's observed
several different types of afterschool programs for my job and during the
course of my research, you are quite right. H.W. time is very much stressed
in most programs, primarily because parents insist on it. This is often
because, in many neighborhoods, parents can not help with h.w. because of
their own language or literacy skills. But, they want their children prepared
nonetheless. In other cases, such as my household, I'm too tired to do it,
and I want most of it done by the time I get home. So, even if staff of
afterschool programs see h.w. as basically bullshit, and want to do more
creative things, they have to have kids do it or there's a conflict with
parents. One thing I've been doing is sitting and observing during h.w. help
time, and I've noticed some pretty neat, un-intended phenonema such as
spontaneous peer tutoring, among others.
Sara