Re: at least!

From: vadebonc@montana.edu
Date: Wed Mar 01 2000 - 11:45:46 PST

Recently Phillip noted:

Let me check something out. Given that in this debate many
non-Americans and, indeed, many Americans, have pointed out in
various ways what I have just asserted, and that none of those posts
have influenced in the slghtest way what has subsequently happened,
am I to assume that others DO want a list that operates only in a
North American context? Or is it simply that some people simply do
not understand that other contexts exist and therefore find
contributions such as mine to be gibberish? Or do many believe that
there are some superordinate cultural and linguistic norms that have
precedence over and an existence independent of any specific cultural
context? Or is it that I am the one who perceives all this as
gibberish because there is a perfectly sensible point that I have
missed because of my own inadequate understanding of American modes
of expression?

For me, I guess I have a different perception of "rules." Or maybe the
word has too much baggage attached and we shouldn't use it. We certainly
don't want rules to limit the content of our messages, to limit the range
of the content we choose, or to in any way constrain us from creating a
free flowing, free exchange of ideas. This is a conceptual universe and we
are engaged - ideally - in a conceptual exchange of ideas with the
resultant supports and challenges to each others' ideas that are the
product of academic debate.

Maybe we are talking about guidelines? Maybe we are talking about an
implicit agreement to emphasize communication over position?

The rules are not about the content, not should they be. They are about
how we are with each other and an explicit commitment we make to each other
to be responsible for stating comments, ideas, challenges, to each other in
a way that is "inviting" rather than "silencing"? Is this North American?
I don't know. I do know that I appreciate responses to my messages and I
am therefore committed to writing in a way that hopefully opens channels of
communication up rather than shutting them down.

Perhaps, our purpose should be clarified. I am not sure. Perhaps, that
would serve to help see common goals?

I am still thinking too - Jennifer

Jennifer A. Vadeboncoeur, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, Curriculum and Instruction
Montana State University
120 Reid Hall, Department of Education
Bozeman, MT 59717
Office: (406) 994-6457