Re: Tutchev in English

From: Eva Ekeblad (eva.ekeblad@ped.gu.se)
Date: Wed Mar 01 2000 - 04:30:59 PST

At 09.30 +0300 0-03-01, Tatiana Sazonova scrobe:
>And now I'm struggling with the translation of the expression "body - mind
>problem" (I want to make a reveiw in my book) which somehow corresponds to
>what is known in Russian philosophical tradition as the problem of body and
>soul. When I say "somehow correspods" because English word "mind" is not
>the same as Russian word "soul". And I recall the XMCA discussion on the
>differences between Westen and Easten tradition in science.

And there has been discussion of the Russian concept of "soul" LONG ago on
the xlchc -- before MY time, even. Perhaps it is now time for a renaissance
of "soul" in American English with new and more Russian meanings (see
Mike's clip)

It is interesting that the problem also works in reverse, that Tatiana is
having problems translating "mind" into Russian. Sorry I cannot help, but
there should be others around here who can.

Best W
Eva