readings??

From: Paul Dillon (dillonph@northcoast.com)
Date: Mon Feb 28 2000 - 21:19:27 PST

Interested xmca-folk,

I do remember seeing Mary Bryson's suggestions for some readings and haven't
seen what was proposed for march. Tomorrow is leap day and then its march.
I think such readings would really be a great framework for various
positions to come out more clearly, authentically.

Alternatively, I just read Peter E. Jones MCA article "The Embodied Mind"
and felt that it would make a natural progression following on Leigh Star's
paper on classification systems with its emphasis on their dynamic and
malleable character, source and consequence of power relations
simultaneously, and Bruce Robinson's discussion of the role of modeling in
IS and its relationship to dialectics and how different points of view
(classes, gender, occupational categories) lead to different, possibly
conflicting, perceptual outcomes. Which is to say concrete
objects--boundary objects? Peter argues against both Lakoff's model of
embodied mind which relates directly to Star's discussion of prototypical
reasoning and Thelen and Smith's dynamic cognition which similarly ties into
Bruce's discussions of modeling dynamic activity systems. It should be easy
to put on the MCA website if there's a will to.

A thought.

Paul H. Dillon