FW: Rules not to call me a dummy

From: Eugene Matusov (ematusov@udel.edu)
Date: Fri Feb 25 2000 - 17:49:22 PST

-----Original Message-----
From: vadebonc@montana.edu [mailto:vadebonc@montana.edu]
Sent: Thursday, February 24, 2000 2:28 PM
To: ematusov@UDel.Edu
Subject: RE: Rules not to call me a dummy

Dear Folks -

Eugene notes,

>I do believe in that. It is useful to have a communal statement about what
>is invited and what is not. I think it is not an overstatment to say that
>xmca, as a community, does care about professional/academic/intellectual
>development of its members and tries to support it. It does support
multiple
>ways of participation. It does try to be a safe academic environment. I
>agree with Gordon that xmca has an element to be an utopia in a sense that
>we seem to try to construct a "new academia" (more humane). I also think
>that xmca does not priritize winning argument over respecting and caring of
>others (and ideas).

And I want to second his ideas. Well said and thanks! Let's figure out
how to keep these "in mind" and "in practice."

Then Eugene says,

I think that there are at least two points
>necessary to keep in mind in this peronalization, although: 1) respect for
>the opponent, and 2) deep appreciation of the opponent and his/her/their
>ideas with which you disagree that contribute to your own thinking and
>thinking of your allies.

Again to these ideas I want to say, well said! We do engage in friendly
combat. Challenging ideas and digging deep into conceptual issues are some
of the rewards of academic dialogue. It is important to me as a
participant to "be heard" and I should be willing to engage in a manner
that does just that, rather than silencing my partners. It isn't whose
voice is loudest, or whose voice is most frequent, but whose voice engages
others, perhaps.

Right now, Eugene's ideas are very engaging. :)

Thanks for listening. Jennifer

Jennifer A. Vadeboncoeur, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, Curriculum and Instruction
Montana State University
120 Reid Hall, Department of Education
Bozeman, MT 59717
Office: (406) 994-6457