RE: Too much introspection? Some practical suggestions

From: Bruce Robinson (bruce.rob@btinternet.com)
Date: Fri Feb 25 2000 - 05:29:38 PST

Dear all,

I have been incredibly busy over the last few days and am now off for ten
days without regular email. I'm not ignoring this discussion or offended by
anything anyone has said, just haven't had any time to write. I'll just
make two points in a desparate rush and then fly.

While Mary may make reasonable assumptions about my gender, I wonder how
she can be so sure about my - or the others on the 'rules' side of the
discussion - race or class (unless all academics are by definition middle
class, in which case the list is less divided than she states)?

I find it significant that nobody has replied directly to Philip Capper's
points about why _he_ doesn't feel part of the XMCA community (which is
just what he predicted, of course). I tend to share some of them, in that
for me XMCA is not a community that is central to my work or self-identity,
but somewhere I dip into and out of, read some interesting things,
occasionally write to, get feedback from etc. Perhaps that's why I find a
lot of the community-defining discussion is not useful.

I'll catch up with this later.

Bye for now

Bruce

On Tuesday, February 22, 2000 6:01 PM, mary bryson [SMTP:brys@unixg.ubc.ca]
wrote:
> I think it interesting how our dialogues - well, assisted monologues,
maybe,
> are dividing along lines of gender, and race, and class. Well, maybe not
> "interesting" but entirely to be expected. And so on one side we have
folks
> who want to approach this rationally, with rules, and on another, folks
who
> are pushing into the soggy murky areas of authentic expression of
> contradictions and feelings and complexities of engagement in social
spaces
> - and there are other sides, of course, to this multi-sided entity that
we
> are.
>
> And btw (by the way), the specific rules listed will not advance our
> dilemmas one iota, because who are we going to haul in to determine how
we
> will evaluate a message for its sexism, racism, and other important
'isms?
> Solomon is not available at the present time.
>
> But people, smart people, have written about these problems, and maybe we
> could think of reading, collectively, a set of 2 or 3 articles dealing
with
> precisely the kinds of dialogue we are having:
> something by Chandra T Mohanty on liberalism and equity and
> institutionalized discrimination
> something by Ellsworth on difference/s
> something by Burbules on dialogue across differences
>
> something you might suggest ......?
>
> My only plea, here, would be that we not see this this talking as
> "uninteresting" or "a waste of time" or "off topic - can't we just go
back
> to the good old days?".
>
> mary
> --
> Dr. Mary Bryson, Associate Professor, Education, UBC
> GenTech Project http://www.shecan.com
> Curriculum Vitae http://www.educ.ubc.ca/faculty/bryson/cv.html
>
> To alter efficacy-based futility requires development of competencies and
> expectations of personal effectiveness. By contrast, to change
> outcome-based futility necessitates changes in prevailing environmental
> contingencies that restore the instrumental value of the competencies
> people already possess. Bandura-- 1977
>

> ----------
> >From: "Nate Schmolze" <schmolze@students.wisc.edu>
> >To: <xmca@weber.ucsd.edu>
> >Subject: RE: Too much introspection? Some practical suggestions
> >Date: Tue, Feb 22, 2000, 7:19 AM
> >

> > Bruce,
> >
> > A few comments on your message. But, first before the month is done,
I'd
> > like to thank you for your detailed responses to myself, Paul, and
Judy.

counterproductive,
> > but that does not mean introspection or reflection does not have an
> > important function. I would also caution an interpretation that
situates the
> > current discussion in the Daly thread. Similar tensions and themes go
way
> > back and are what in some ways motivated the seperate x-lists.
Historically