Re: Inherent instability of activity systems

From: Helena Worthen (hworthen@igc.org)
Date: Wed Feb 23 2000 - 05:37:49 PST

Thanks for the posting of the blurb from Bill Blanton's discussion of
"Engestrom's trajectory."

I have returned to xmca after 2 years during which I worked as education
director for a small labor union of clothing and textile workers in eastern
Pennsylvania. I am looking for theoretical tools by which I can both
interpret my experience there and explain it to other people in my field,
which is now Industrial Relations. Activity theory, as an interpretive
framework, has a ring of truth to me -- when I cast it around the notes and
photographs I gathered during that time, it illuminates that experience and
points in all the right directions.

But how deep does one go, explaining the theory, in using it to interpret an
activity system when the primary focus of what one is writing has to be NOT
on showing that the theory works, but on bringing the activity system into
the light?

Helena Worthen
Chicago Labor Education Program
University of Illinois, Chicago